Tuesday 8 November 2011

BALI!

I arrived in Bali last Monday, after a couple of long, disappointing, and stressful days. I guess every trip has a bump or two in the road eh?

I had booked a last minute train ride from Jaipur to Delhi (where I was flying out of). Planning things in the future is not exactly my forte, but I was hoping to have the whole day to just explore the city. I got there at 11:30am and had until my flight at 11pm... Well, long story short, let's just say I learned the value of a packing light and having a comfortable bag to tote around. I have an increased respect for solo travelers. I realized it was not wise to assume the metro and airport from another country would be run the same way as in the US... All this, just from spending the whole day having only seen the inside of the train station, metro station, and airport.

Later, despite talking to 3 different Air Asia offices in 3 different countries, I wasn't able to get them to refund me my money back for my cancelled flight to Thailand. The India immigration officer didn't approve me returning to India in a couple weeks either. The whole going away trip just felt like a big stressful failure.

It was cloudy and raining on and off the first three days I was in Bali. It's still flooding in Thailand, where I was supposed to originally go as well. What was supposed to be the fun ending to my travels, was not looking so good.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I wrote that first part of the blog on my second day in Bali, not one of my shining moments. Thank goodness the rest of the week didn't follow suit! I have loved my time here! My friend Alex arrived the next day and apparently brought the sun with him! I have nice bright and painful sunburn, seen some amazing temples and beautiful sunsets, climbed up and down the steep hills of the rice terraces, body surfed and floated in the ocean, seen how the locals make their handicrafts, and walked down the busy streets of Kuta where you can find a huge western style Quicksilver on one side and a little hut with homemade necklaces for sell on the other.

Five more days. After that, who knows! Last minute plans and travel as it's best... I'm throwing around the idea of catching a flight to Tokyo and spending a couple days there, before heading to meet up with my family on (hopefully) Thanksgiving day. OR... possibly sticking around Southeast Asia a couple more weeks to do some more volunteering, and see another country while I'm at it. Decisions decisions. We shall see how it plays out.

No comments:

Post a Comment