Saturday 19 November 2011

Bangkok

I only got to spend one night in Bangkok. I'd had hopes of actually getting to see a bit of the city, but it didn't work out that way. By the time I got my stuff together and found my ride to the hotel, it was getting dark. Luckily, the hotel didn't have a restaurant like was advertised though, so I was forced to leave the comfort of my room and wander around a bit until I found some food. The guy at the front just told me to walk down to the end of the street and turn right, and there should be places to eat.

Thailand is supposed to be a pretty popular tourist destination, and I believe it is too (I think 85% of the people on the plane from Bali to Bangkok were white), but I certainly did not feel like I was in the touristy part of town. There was not a single other white person in sight in my hotel neighborhood, but the driver had already warned me this was where the locals were. While it may be a bit intimidating, I like that. Means a cheaper, tastier, more authentic experience.

I was a bit nervous though. No one spoke English and it was dark. After passing a few dirt floor, open air, open flame places, I found one that looked a little bigger, a little cleaner, and a little lighter. They had the meat just displayed out on the ice for you to (I guess) choose what you want. I tried to ask/tell him to just make me whatever meal he thought was best. As I was waiting for my food, my taxi driver walked by and said hello and made sure I was ok. I think he probably clarified with them about my meal as well. I did eventually get some rice and chicken... By the time I got it I was quite hungry, but still a bit unsure about what was expected of me. I had my food, but not silverware or chopsticks in sight. I finally just convinced myself that they ate with their hands there. I know some people in India do, and I even did with my Bali friend for a meal, so it seemed like a logical conclusion... Apparently not in Thailand. As soon as I started eating with my fingers that all started smiling and looking at me funny. Luckily, the water showed back up and opened up the box that was sitting on my table, to reveal several forks and spoons :)

No comments:

Post a Comment